If you live in northern Ohio, you already know that with winter, comes plenty of snow, sleet, and ice. What you might not know is that this harsh weather can wreak havoc on your home carpets. While you may do your best to keep the snow, ice, and slush outside, these winter hazards are still likely to affect the condition of your carpet.
What Affects Does Winter Have on Your Carpet?
There are several elements of winter that can be harsh on your carpets.
- Snow – Sure, any snow on your feet will melt almost instantly once you’re inside. Not only can too much water on your carpet affect its overall appearance, but it also creates ideal conditions for mold to grow. If this moisture stays in your carpet for too long, it also can create an unpleasant odor that can be difficult to eliminate.
- Ice – When it’s icy outside, you have no choice but to treat your sidewalks with sand, ash, salt, or another type of ice melt. The problem is that both sand and ash can work their way deep into your carpet and affect the overall look and feel of the carpet. In addition, many types of salt and ice melts have chemicals that can damage and even stain your carpet.
- Slush – Once the snow and ice start to melt, it forms a slushy mess everywhere. When this slush and dirt combine, it creates a muddy mixture that can be tracked into your home on the bottom of shoes, boots, or pet paws and damage your carpets. Unfortunately, mud can be very difficult to remove from your carpet, especially if not dealt with appropriately.
How to Protect Your Carpet During the Winter Months
The good news is that there are several things you can do to protect the carpets in your home during the winter months.
- Door Mats – One of the most important things to do is to make sure you have a doormat placed at every entrance to your home. Encourage your family and guests to always wipe off their shoes before entering the house.
- Regular Vacuuming – Using a doormat alone will not be enough to get rid of all the dirt and debris brought into your home during the winter. This fact makes it especially important to vacuum your carpets on a regular basis.
- Deep Cleaning – The best way to make sure your carpet maintains its beauty throughout the winter is to schedule a professional deep carpet cleaning. Professional cleaners use specialized equipment that is powerful enough to tackle even the harshest winter elements. This service can make sure your carpets stay fresh, feel great, and look beautiful all winter long.
Don’t let winter get the best of the carpets in your home. Instead, call the pros at ServiceMaster and schedule a deep carpet cleaning today.